3.2.12

Pumpkin and Black Bean Chili


How did I end up in rural Ohio? 

This is the question I have been asking myself for the past 3 days.
Don't get me wrong, I love my school, but after being in California for a month, this place looks a little bleak. No more morning walks on the beach, no more farmer's markets open year-round, no more sundresses in January... Oh well. I'm just going to take advantage of everything this school has going for it and head West the minute I graduate. That's the plan.

In the meantime, I will keep myself sane by periodically redecorating my room...



and making soup.


This pumpkin and black bean chili is the perfect college meal. All you need is an onion, some fresh garlic and three 15-ounce cans and you have a flavorful, hearty winter soup that will feed you for a few days. Cheap, healthy, and did I mention it tastes like spicy pumpkin pie? Yum. It can't get better than this.

Pumpkin and Black Bean Chili (adapted from Keeping it Real Food)

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can black beans
2 cups diced tomatos
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups water

1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onions and garlic. Saute until the onion becomes transluscent. 
2. Add in the black beans, tomatoes, pumpkin and spices. Stir well for about 2-3 minutes, then pour in the water.
3. Put on some tunes and take a dance break while you let the soup simmer for 40-60 minutes. 
4. Serve with sliced avocado (smuggled back from Monterey), coconut shavings, vegan sour cream, or just keep it plain and simple!




Oh wow, I can't believe classes start in just 2 days. Wish me luck for my incredibly daunting add/drop period!

10 comments:

  1. Yum! This sounds easy and delicious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby!
    You won the Aeropress Giveaway on my blog! CONGRATS!! Email me: vanillasugarblog@aol.com with your address
    I can't wait for you to get this. I love mine.
    Great way to start the weekend eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much! I can't wait to try it out :)

      Delete
  3. That chili looks super good--especially if you've got cold weather up there. Good luck with the start of classes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good, and I have so much pumpkin left! How many servings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe makes about 6 cups of soup, so I would say 5-6 servings!

      Delete
    2. Lovely thank you!!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5.2.12

    I absolutely love the pictures! and redecorating my room too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Redecorating can be so much fun, even in tiny spaces

      Delete