17.2.12

Simple Orange Tofu


Every semester I tell myself "Okay, this semester I'm not going to overbook myself- I'm going to try to stay sane." So far, I have failed. There is just always so much to do and so little time! Luckily, everything I'm doing is something that I genuinely want to do. My classes are all pretty awesome (dance and the camera, dance history, a Shakespeare English class, and chemistry and the environment), plus I'm choreographing a dance, performing in another dance, and I still have my great waitressing job. So much for not overbooking myself.

I have been living up to one of my goals for the year: really setting aside time to cook myself quality meals! All you need is to get some good, versatile ingredients that will last you a couple weeks and then set aside half an hour to whip up something delicious. 


This is the first time I've tried cooking tofu by myself and I must say, it went really well! I think this dish is going to become a week-night staple. It's delicious and uses very basic ingredients that I almost always have on hand. 

Orange Tofu with Rice

makes about 4 servings

1 block extra firm tofu
1 orange
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 cup prepared brown rice (I used Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley)
optional: cooked spinach or peas to throw in with the rice

Note: If you are making this tofu for dinner, I would recommend marinating it around lunchtime. If it is for lunch, let it marinate overnight.

1. Drain the tofu and wrap in a paper towel. Squeeze the excess water out of the block of tofu and cut it into triangles or cubes.
2. Peel your orange and smash it in a medium-small lidded bowl, getting it nice and pulp-y. Stir in the soy sauce, garlic and 1 tbsp of the oil. 
3. Place your tofu into the marinade, cover with the lid and shake gently so that every piece is covered with the sauce. Let it marinate for at least 2 hours.
4. Once the tofu is done marinating, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan over high heat. Add the tofu (but save the marinade!). Cook for a couple minutes on each side and flip. Repeat until the edges begin to brown and get slightly crispy. 
5. Serve warm over rice with a little extra sauce poured over the top. 



If you have leftovers, these little wedges would be excellent tossed into a salad, served in a wrap with some hummus and veggies, or just eaten plain as a snack! 



9 comments:

  1. This sounds so filling. Last night I cooked tofu in peanut sauce, but orange would have been so superior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orange is delicious, but I love a good peanut sauce too!

      Delete
  2. I just bought the ingredients to make broccoli and tofu with orange sauce! I was inspired by the orange chicken you can get at Chinese restaurants but was turned off by the amount of sugar in the sauce. This recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree, most Chinese restaurants have way too much sugar and waaay too much sodium. This would be great with some broccoli tossed in! I hope you like it!

      Delete
  3. Awesome looking orange tofu--I can't believe it's your first time! Crazy talk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was about time! And I claim to be "so vegan," haha ;)

      Delete
  4. That looks so yummy! Pretty darn good for cooking tofu the first time by yourself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was surprised by how easy it was!

      Delete
  5. Looks mighty tasty! And as always, I love the photos! Great blues with the orange--nice sense of winter and warmth!

    ReplyDelete