29.6.12

Cookies & Chicago


Growing up in Minneapolis has definitely made me a city girl at heart. I love the tall buildings, the buzzing energy of big crowds, and the infinite list of things to do.


My trip to Chicago was too short. The city was beautiful. The art was beautiful. The food was delicious (although my quest to find vegan deep-dish pizza failed). My best friend and hostess Melissa is always wonderful. Can I go back now, please? I think I could spend the entire summer exploring Chicago. 

Mel and me at the Art Institute
In the meantime, I'll just have to busy myself with staying out of the heat and humidity in Minneapolis and baking when it finally goes below 80º.  You may have noticed I'm on a bit of a sweet 'n salty kick, but there are just so many possibilities with that flavor combination! These cookies are chewy with a little bit of crunch from the peanuts and pretzels. Mmm perfection.


Sweet ‘n Salty Cookies (adapted from Munchin' with Munchkin)
makes 1 dozen cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup earth balance
2 tbsp applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1/3 cup crushed pretzels

1. Preheat your oven to 350º and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, salt and baking soda. Set aside. Whip together the earth balance and applesauce in a large bowl until fluffy. Cream in the sugar, then add the flax mixture, non-dairy milk and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips, peanuts and pretzels. 
4. Drop the batter onto the cookie sheet in tablespoons and press down to flatten them. Bake for about 10 minutes or until they start to turn golden brown.


15 comments:

  1. Aw, Chicago is so much fun! Yay for a good trip! And those cookies look killer--I love the pretzels in them. Super nom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jes! Pretzels are soo good in baked goods. I want to try brownies next :)

      Delete
  2. CHICAGO LOVE.

    -- love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving your vegan interpretation of the sweet & salty cookie... heavenly!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Chicago and I love these cookies! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, sweet and salty cookies! They look awesome! Nothing like milk and cookies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm very true. Such a wonderfully nostalgic combination. Thanks, chow vegan!

      Delete
  6. I love sweet and salty cookies! Thanks for this recipe, hadn't seen one before that used applesauce. Good one, Ruby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dang these look good!!! I cannot wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know if you do :)

      Delete
  8. These looks so perfect and delicious! I may have to try them =]

    http://honeynectarblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail! I would recommend that you do, they will be worth your while :)

      Delete