5.6.12

Orange Blueberry Pecan Cake



Summer is a strange time of year. When my brain goes out of school mode and my thoughts float around without any structure, sometimes I start to feel kind of aimless. So then I make lists to organize things again. 

Things I Don’t Like About Summer:
-boredom
-mosquitoes
-being away from college friends
-trying to find a job

Things I Like About Summer:
-boredom, because it leads to creativity
-being outside in the sun almost every day
-reading books for fun
-beaches
-bike rides
-having a stocked kitchen at home
-driving with the windows down
-night swims
-fresh berries

Looks like the pros outweigh the cons… I guess summer isn’t really so bad overall!



You know what also isn’t so bad? This cake. Oh wait, that’s an understatement. This cake is incredible. I swear, you will not be disappointed by the flavors and the delicious pie-like topping. Plus, you know how I feel about making anything upside-down.



Orange Blueberry Pecan Cake

Topping:
1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tbsp melted earth balance
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup crushed pecans
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cake:
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup melted earth balance
1/4 cup orange juice
zest of 1 orange
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cinnamon

1. Preheat your oven to 375ยบ. To prepare the "topping," toss blueberries in a small bowl with the flour, sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Pour the melted earth balance evenly over the bottom of a 9" round pan and sprinkle the blueberry mixture on top. Set aside.
2. To make the cake, mix together the milk and vinegar in a large bowl and let sit for 3-5 minutes to curdle. Whisk in the applesauce, earth balance, orange juice, zest, vanilla and maple syrup. Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and stir until just combined- it's okay if there are a few lumps.
3. Spread the batter over the blueberry-pecan mixture and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
4. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before carefully flipping onto a large plate. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar.



I highly recommend enjoying this cake with a tall glass of iced tea, sitting on a porch or outside on a sunny afternoon, listening to this song. You will be refreshed.


How do you feel about summer?

10 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the other day how much I miss summer breaks... and college.... enjoy it while you have it! once work starts summer doesn't mean the same thing anymore- but free time, sun, and the outdoors are always great. love the cake too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KL! I will definitely enjoy my free time this summer while it lasts :)

      Delete
  2. I love summer, especially when it can slow down. The boredom, the laziness, the summertime when the living is easy, all works for me. When I have to work against the flow of summer, that is when I get frustrated.
    Anyhow- absolutely stunning photos and the upside-down blueberries look delicious! Perfect summer food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks sooooooooooooo good! I can almost taste it! Thanks for the recipe! And I'm a teacher, so I LOVE summer. It's my wind-down time, and time to re-generate before another academic year. I hope you enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie! Summer is a great time to wind down- I hope you get plenty of time to relax and bake delicious vegan things :)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful cake! I would love to have a slice of that some afternoon while relaxing on a porch reading, Oh, to have summer breaks again... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jes! I will enjoy them while they last...

      Delete
  5. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!!! My compliments to the photographer/chef......

    ReplyDelete
  6. If boredom leads to creativity which leads to cake recipes like these, it can be no bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! Food creativity is the best kind.

      Delete