16.7.12

Blueberry Molasses Cake with Lemon Icing


When life slows down a bit, it is nice to be able to indulge in simpler pleasures. It's been a while since I made a link-love list for you guys, so I figured it's time to share the things I have been enjoying these days...

-Roasted berries, especially in this incredible looking frozen yogurt from Oh, Ladycakes
-Simple, gorgeous life photography
-Snail mail: sometimes it's fun doing things the old fashioned way
-This song. Her voice is incredible.
-I've been dreaming about chocolate lately. This should cure the craving. Holy jesus.
-I want to learn how to salsa dance. I could totally do that in those heels. No problem.
-This video cracks me up because it is the truth.
-Take me to this bizarre and beautiful lake.

Aaand I've been loving this cake. 



Always cake.




Blueberry Molasses Cake with Lemon Icing

makes 8-12 servings

Cake:


2 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 1/2 cup blueberries

Icing:

1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1/3 cup vegan margarine
1/4 cup granulated sugar
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat your oven to 350ยบ and grease and flour a 9" round cake pan.

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and spices. Set aside and whisk together the remaining ingredients (minus the blueberries) in a smaller bowl. Add the wet to the dry and stir until just combined.



3. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and sprinkle the blueberries on top. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
4. While the cake bakes, prepare the frosting. Cream together the margarine and sugar. Stir in the soy milk, lemon juice and lemon zest and finally the powdered sugar. Mix until smooth and creamy.
5. Let the cake cool completely before flipping onto a plate and pouring the icing over the top. Slice and enjoy!




I hope everyone is having a great start to the week! What little things have you been loving lately? 

10 comments:

  1. yum! Can't wait to make this cake; sign me up for ANYTHING maple syrup and blueberries. I want to try making maple syrup coconut milk ice cream some day...also; that lake is insane!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia! Ooh that ice cream flavor sounds amazing... you'll have to give me the recipe if you figure it out :)

      Delete
  2. Molasses cake. I'm sure there are other ingredients, but right now, that's all that is on my mind!

    And that video about the Gotye song is soooo true. One of my yoga teachers plays it in her yoga class and I have a hard time restraining. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is precisely why I made this cake: molasses on my mind. The song was played in my yoga class too!! I might have been mouthing along while I was in child's pose...

      Delete
  3. I love molasses anything. Your pictures look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, zesty vegan! Love that name.

      Delete
  4. Molasses have a distinctive taste that makes you crave for more, so does blueberry. I'd love to try this, my family will enjoy this, I bet!

    Myfudo here...Normally we'd never put a shameless plug back to us, but we just launched our new site and we would love for you to be a part of it. I'd love to share our newest launch with you, I hope you don't mind? Now that we are getting a new look...Myfudo is moving to a new domain http://www.yumgoggle.com This has been a project we have been working on for almost a year now. We just launched our new gallery submission site, and we are just thrilled. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there! Please sign up and check us out (it's free) http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery
    We look forward to seeing your wonderful pictures, as always.
    p.s. We are hosting a Kitchen Aid Mixer Giveaway to celebrate our new Yumgoggle site, we hope you'll participate =)
    http://www.yumgoggle.com/japanese-cuisine-japanese-spinach-side-dish-horenso-no-ohitashi-kitchenaid-mixer-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes yes yes!! I love little cakes like this one. Definitely making it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thank you! Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  6. This sounds yummy! May be a new must-do during blueberry season :) I shared this on my blog and linked here for more info. Please just let me know if using the image is not ok! (Included copyright, too)

    ReplyDelete